Friday, February 8, 2013

Pagan Blog Project: C is for Cauldron



From the Merriam-Webster online dictionary:
caul·dron noun \ˈkȯl-drən\
Definition of CAULDRON
1: a large kettle or boiler

2: something resembling a boiling cauldron in intensity or degree of agitation <a cauldron of intense emotions>

This week I chose to write about the cauldron. This is one of those stereotypical symbols of the witch along with the broom, the wand and of course the black cat. Of course, aside from the black cat (mine is a torti) I have and use all of these in my craft.

My cauldron is very tiny. It is used for small items when I am working at my ritual altar. I do have a gigantic cast iron camp bowl that could easily double as a cauldron if necessary but so far, after many years of ritual work I haven’t felt the need to use anything else.

The Cauldron is typically a symbol of the Goddess and its element is water. It can be used as a container during rituals, for scrying, as a place to burn ingredients for a spell and is a place for magical transformation.

A cauldron is generally made of cast iron so that it can be used with high heat if necessary and often has three legs though some cauldrons do have four legs.  An article by Sheila Buck states that if a cauldron has three legs they represent the Maiden, Mother and Crone and if the cauldron has four legs they represent the elements of Earth, Air Fire and Water. 

Please forgive my brief post this week. I have unfortunately had way too much on my schedule. To make sure this doesn't happen again anytime soon I’ll be working harder to get my posts done a little early!

Sites visited during my research for this post:

No comments:

Post a Comment