Saturday, January 7, 2012

Oh my...Will My Legs EVER Stop Hurting?

Thursday was my first actual session with my weight training class. I can honestly say I have never, ever,seriously ever, worked that hard before - when I was younger I ran 5 miles every morning AND I played the right wing position on my High School field hockey team and I have never worked as hard as I did on Thursday. I did squats and lunges and chest flys and more squats and more lunges and... ouch! My legs still hurt. I look like I am 105 when I am walking slowly up or down the stairs and my kids are already sick of me whining about it. Though my youngest son, he is 14, did give me a hug today. He told me I looked like I needed one - so sweet!

When I left the gym on Thursday, my first thought was to convince myself that I had to go back on Tuesday. Here is the conversation I was having with myself in the car on the way home:

Me  (AKA Pollyanna): Ok, it's only an hour workout, I only had to take a break 2 times and I didn't throw up. That's pretty good for a first time.

Me 2: You don't know those people, no one will miss you. We'll go to the gym around the corner from the house. It will be fine.

Pollyanna: No, seriously, if we stick to it we will look smokin' hot by this summer! I have 5 days to recover before we go again. By the end of January we'll be seeing results!

Me 2: You are going to hate them all in the morning.

Pollyanna: Maybe, but the pain will be worth it.

Me 2: We're going back aren't we?

Pollyanna:Yep!

Happily, while I am in serious pain from muscles that have not worked that hard - ever - I have not yet cursed the name of my friend who talked me into going or that of my instructor.

I have been hobbling around, going up and down the stairs as often as possible and taking lots of warm baths to sooth those aching muscles. Today is better than yesterday and tomorrow will be better than today.  I just hope I can do a lunge by Tuesday!!

On the plus side I went out and got a new work out shirt to wear on Tuesday - thus reaffirming my commitment to getting my body into shape. Hot Pink baby! I really am tired of reaching for black all the time. It is time to get that color back into my wardrobe.

I couldn't start the Yoga today because I would have been sobbing every time I moved! I will be walking on the treadmill tomorrow to try and loosen my legs up so they are ready for another grueling workout come Tuesday.

Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment