Monday, March 19, 2012

Review: James Hutchings - The New Death and Others



A collection of 44 short stories and 19 poems I found the eBook The New Death and Others... fascinating. There is no apparent order to how the pieces are organized within the whole which at first was a bit disconcerting but after a couple of stories it was fun. I never knew what I would be reading next. Several pieces are dark, some disturbing, and most of them had bits of fun interjected in unexpected places.

I enjoyed James' dark wit and satirical humor. There were a couple of stories that failed to hook me but for the most part it was a fun read. I thoroughly enjoyed the short stories How the Isle of Cats got its Name, The New Death and The End. If you enjoy fractured fairy tales, strange stories and mythology you'll enjoy this. 

If I were to rate this on a 5 star scale I would give it 3 out of 5.


No comments:

Post a Comment