My mother's family is originally from Ireland, I'm not, but my great grandparents came over from Ireland and I have quite a few relatives still living in that lush land today (and they own a pub!!). We have always been a rowdy bunch and enjoy celebrating this day, mostly by participating in the secular festivities :0) I want to wish those of you who celebrate either through the secular traditions or in a more religious fashion a Happy St. Patrick's day!
I found the following recipe for Guinness Cupcakes on Food.com and they are the perfect way to celebrate this fine day (or any day for that matter). These are the best Guinness cupcakes I have ever had, I think the frosting just makes them awesome!!
Image by Run for your life
Guinness Cupcakes with Bailey's Frosting - YUM!
PREP: 40 mins
COOK: 25 mins
YIELDS 24-30 cupcakes
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup Guinness stout
- 2⁄3 cup Dutch-processed cocoa powder, sifted
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon table salt
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter
- 4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 pinch table salt
- 3 tablespoons irish cream(Bailey's or Carolan's)
- 1 tablespoon milk
- green sprinkles
- Preheat oven to 350°F Grease 24-30 cupcake cups, or fill with paper liners.
- In a saucepan, heat the butter, Guinness, cocoa and brown sugar, whisking often, until the butter is melted and the mixture is smooth. Remove from heat and allow to cool to room temperature.
- Into the work bowl of a stand mixer (or into a large mixing bowl), sift together salt, flour, white sugar and baking soda. Add the cooled Guinness mixture and beat on medium for 1 minute. Add eggs and sour cream and beat on medium for 2 minutes or until smooth.
- Divide the batter evenly amongst the cupcake cups. Bake in preheated oven 20-25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a cake comes out clean. Cool in pan 20 minutes, then remove and transfer to a cooling rack until completely cooled.
- Meanwhile, in (cleaned) work bowl of stand mixer, cream butter until very light and fluffy. Add salt, and slowly add confectioner’s sugar. Do not run the mixer above low, or the sugar will spray all over your kitchen. Add a couple of spoonfuls at a time until it has all been absorbed into the butter. Add Bailey's and milk until spreadable consistency is achieved.
- Frost cupcakes with Bailey's frosting. Sprinkle with green jimmies.
I hope you have a wonderful and SAFE day!!