Wednesday, March 5, 2014

DIY Breath Freshening Treats for Your Canine Furbabies - Witchy Green Wednesday


I made these dog treats for my two pups this week and they LOVED them! Until a year ago I never thought to make treats for my dogs. I don’t know why. I cook, I bake, I like to make healthy snacks for my family and those two pups are definitely part of the family!

Alice and Sophie Waiting for Treats

Making dog treats that are healthy is easy and takes very little time. I made this batch just after tossing a load of laundry in the washer and they baked up nicely while I was cleaning the kitchen after dinner. Easy Peasy.

If you are a Pinterest fan search for DIY Dog Treats and you’ll find plenty of recipes for healthy treat recipes.

This recipe is for Breath-Freshening Biscuits for Dogs and comes from Vegan Mama’s Blog 
  • 3/4 c. minced parsley leaves
  • 1/4 grated carrot
  • 1 Tbsp. safflower oil
  • 3/4 c. whole wheat flour
  • 1/2 c. corn flour or finely grated corn meal
  • 1/2 tsp. baking powder
  • 1/4 c. water
1. Preheat oven to 350. In a small bowl mix together parsley, carrot and oil

2. In a large bowl, whisk together flours and baking powder. Add parsley mixture and work until flour mixture looks like coarse crumbs. Add water, mix and knead with hands until dough comes together in a smooth ball.

Ready to Bake

3. On a lightly floured surface roll dough to 1/2 inch thickness. Using a bone shaped cookie cutter (or any similarly sized cookie cutter -I used a shamrock cookie cutter), cut out biscuits, re-rolling, scraping as necessary. Place on a lightly oiled cookie sheet and bake 20 min (for softer); 30 min for harder biscuits. Keep refrigerated!!!

Thanks for stopping by, if you make some let me know how your fur family likes them.

1 comment: